Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Semi Formal Butterick 6582, DIY


Last week I had an engagement to attend that required something a little on the formal side.  I looked through my patterns and I couldn't find anything.  I also posted my delimma and one of my online friends suggested the new Vogue 1374 (Thanks Rene'e).  Needless to say that even after her advice, which was a good choice, I still felt something else was in order for this situation.  So, I continued to search through patterns and match fabric.  Then my camera guy (my son)

When I am taking photos, there is never a dull moment.  He keeps me laughing.
said, "Oh Mom!!! You have to make this one".  I looked at the pattern (making the mental note that my children believe I can do anything) and I had past it up many times before because it appeared to be something that was going to be a little like trouble to me.

Since he picked out the pattern, I decided to let him pick out the fabric and zipper ( I didn't want to tarnish the Super Mom vision).  He is normally pretty good at dressing himself, but I don't know about how well he was going to dress me.  The pictures that I am posting are not of me in the dress and I have to apologize for that one.  But I have Sarah adjusted to full size and partially dressed (under garments) to my body shape so that we all can see what the finished garment actually looks like. I have tried the dress on and it did fit me perfectly just the way I wanted.  Here is Sarah in the pattern and fabric reveal.
This is the pattern he chose.  Butterick 6582.
The fabric is deep purple Soiree Taffeta that has a very forgiving stretch.  I didn't know that I was going to like this piece of fabric as much as I did, but I loved the feel of it while I was working with it and it made this dress turn out perfect.  Other examples of color choices for this fabric are peacock blue, Iridescent Silver, and Burgandy Red.  These colors are really perfect for holiday garments.
Shoulder gathers

Added an invisible zipper of a contrasting color.
Back split
Edge stitching on the bodice facing.
The back.
Ok, here is what I liked and didn't like about this pattern.  I liked that this pattern was basically easy.  It was easier than I thought.  There were 3 main pieces (1 front, 2 back).  The gathers at the shoulders actually made the little folds that I could see in the pattern, you just have to go with the pattern.  The dislike column is a little bit longer.  And first off would be the the V in the front.  The reason I had not made this dress before was because I could see that the V was way too high in the front for me and if I was going to wear this dress, I would have to figure out a way to lower that V, but not by much.

Using a ruler I measured 1/2" all the way down the top of the front piece.  I didn't use 1" because I was still allowing for the seam allowance to take up the other 1/2".  I then added 1/2" to the bottom of the upper left pieces and upper facing.  This allowed for an extra inch to be taken from the V and give me the lower neckline that I was looking for.  The boatneck feeling that I was getting from the pattern didn't appeal to me (not for this dress).  Overall, I liked this pattern and I love this fabric.  The fabric is so dark until it almost looks black, but it is lovely.

Sad to say I was unable to make the social event, but there is always next year and I have the perfect dress for the occasion.

I hope you enjoyed today's post and I look forward to our next adventure very excitedly.  I've started Christmas presents so Sarah will be my model for the next few post.  Happy Holidays and lots of sewing fun to you.

<a href="">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>