McCall's 3880 And New Look 6912

Hi

Today,  I want to share an idea that came together out of a love for vintage style clothing.  I love the way women from the bygone era always looked so polished.  From head to toe, their clothing was so impeccable and fashion forward.  When I think about polished lines I always stop around the 50s and 60s for inspiration.  This is a time when I am most fascinated with women's clothing.  I can almost see myself walking along side them wearing my vintage outfit.


To pull my outfit together I used 2 different patterns.  McCall's 3880 and New Look 6912.  I first started with a vision of a skirt and cape, but I knew that I would need a blouse to bring it all together and I didn't want to have a 3 piece set.  The idea for a dress came while I was talking with a friend and my friend kept repeating "Do you have a dress?"  I overlooked that statement several times until the ton of bricks hit me,,,,DRESS.  I had not thought about a dress at all, but I quickly began searching my mind for a dress that would fit the bill of a blouse and a skirt in one.  New Look 6912 stood out the most and I had been wanting to make this dress for a while, so off I went to make my vintage dress set, yet have 2 separate pieces.
This vintage 1950s ensemble was the perfect starting point for what I had in mind.  Other patterns can be found Here, Here, and Here.

When I started this project last week I had snow on the ground and it was pretty cold outside but, I wanted my cape to have a nice warm feeling when I was out, hence the faux fur and wool.
Cape reversed
Back of cape
I really love this dress.  I chose to forego the fabric suggestions of a shiny fabric and used a Challis.  Both patterns were interesting to combine together.  I had about 3 yards of silk wool that I had been wanting to put to use and finding something that would take in all the fabric was my dilemma.  I wrecked my brain to try and come up with something.  I tossed around the idea of slacks, skirts, jackets, and a whole heap of other things.  It is strange how talking to a friend brought this look together for me.

Review1: 
Pattern Description:  McCall's 3880-Misses wraps, cape, shawls
Pattern Sizing:  All sizes
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes, very easy.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  There were a lot of options to choose from.  I am always going to love a pattern that has the least amount of pieces and even though there were a lot of big pieces, I only had to use the ones that I needed.
Fabric Used:  Silk Wool.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  No alterations for this one,
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  Yes, but in a different type fabric and lining.  I would recommend this pattern in a second.
Conclusion:  This was a quick and easy alternative to a light weight jacket, sweater, shrug..etc.  I think there are a lot of different fabrics that would make this pattern up quickly and beautifully.  It could all be done with faux fur on one side and satin on the other.

Review2:
Pattern Description:  Misses dress with bodice variations.
Pattern Sizing:  4-16
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, I chose View A.
Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  The blouse options were most appealing to me.  I didn't really care for all the panels in the skirt, but I could have changed the skirt and yet I opted to keep it.  I also like the side zipper and that it was an invisible zipper.
Fabric Used:  Silk Wool and Challis.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I changed the sleeves.  Instead of gathering the sleeve I tucked them which, to me, gave a more interesting blouse appearance.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?  I am not sure right now if I will go with this one again, but the other top options may be something I will look into.  I do recommend this pattern
Conclusion:  This was a good pattern.  The instructions were clear and very workable.  I didn't have any problems with the redesign of the sleeve or the fabric change.  I felt that if silky fabrics could be used then the weight of Challis would work.  The bodice is very soft and flowing.  The drape is impeccable and blended well with the wool.

Thank you for joining me today.  Until next time,,,

Lots of Love,
Dellia

Comments