Mother's Day DIY Vogue 8997

Hi

I hope all the Mothers had a beautiful and wonderful Mother's Day.  I was so excited to be going home to see my Mom for Mother's Day until the drive home was like sitting on pins and needles.  Every mile down was a closer step to seeing her beautiful smile.

When I started on her gift a couple of weeks ago and I was holding my breath the half the time and praying the whole time.  I had picked Vogue 8997 to be her gift and I chose Hancock Fabric's silk look polyester fabric to make my dream gift come to life.  In my vision I could see my Mom rock'n this dress.  I wanted something that was light and flowy.

In the planning phase with this pattern I couldn't really grasp the concept that the skirt was going to be as BIG as it turned out to be.  I added a few inches to the bottom of the skirt and a couple from the hips down and the end result was .....
I don't know where my Mom got these little shoes from, but I thought they were so cute and dainty.  I really need to raid her closet..:-)
I was a little apprehensive about the fit of this dress on my Mom but, the fit was perfect.  Seeing her in this dress brought tears to my eyes.  The smile on her face as she twirled for me was more than I could have ever imagined.  That smile will forever be sealed in my hall of memories.

The Review

Pattern Description:  Misses dress with skirt, sleeve, and enhanced size options

Pattern Sizing: 14-22

Did it look like the photo on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes

What did you like about the pattern?  I liked the construction.  The lines for the dress were clean and very flattering.

Pattern alterations you made:  I added 3" to the bottom and 1" to the hips then kept the same line down to the hemline.

Will you sew it again?  Yes.  I want to make this one for my oldest daughter, but keep it with the pattern hemline. 

Would you recommend this pattern to others?  Yes.  

Conclusion: I think this is a good pattern for a nice sleeveless dress.  There are other options for this pattern and I think any of the other options would make up nicely.  I used a silky polyester weave, I think that this dress with the wide skirt would be good in a linen (suggested fabric) and the tropical would go better with the straight skirt.  It would totally be up to the design style of the sewer.  I used a polyester lining which kept the skirt in a light state, but that might would be different fora dress made out of linen.  The V that's in the back was at strap level and very appropriate.  The V in in the front was a good height and appropriate as well.  There weren't any alterations to either of them as I had anticipated having to make an alteration to one of them.  I actually like this pattern, but would not suggest it to a new beginner.  It is perfect for a more advanced beginner or higher level sewist.   

Well, I had a wonderful Mother's Day with my Mom and the smile on her face let's me know that she really loved her Mother's Day gift.  Thank You Mom for being the Very Best Mother in the world.
Thank you for joining me and I look forward to next time.

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments