Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Completed Simplicity 1466 and New Look 6303

Hi,

Today I want to finish my last post.  I was right in the middle of making an outfit when I noticed that my serger was acting a little stranger than usual.  I felt kind of off balanced because I was really trying to finish my outfit and couldn't seem to get past the hurdle of a failing serger.  As, I said in my last post, I went to pick up my machine and I was determined to figure out what was going on with it and was I happy about the end results.

I managed to finish simplicity 1466 and New Look 6303, which made me very happy.  The big surprise here is that I have started another project and there has not been any faulty sewing going on out of neither machine.  The last couple of days has been like opening a new box and magically my "Dream Machine" is steady at work.  I'm really trying to say that I fixed my serger myself...LOL (yay me).

So, here's a look at my completed look.

Fergie shoes
 I am so excited to be done with this project.  I was afraid that I wasn't going to get it done and my straight stitch abilities were getting slim.  It was as if I couldn't think without my serger or get anything productive done.

So now I have a pair of Gabardine straight leg pants with ankle side slits.  These pants are so comfortable and light.  I had thought about making a little jacket out of the rest of the fabric, but I think I will save it for a dress (maybe?).  The top is a nice silky Challis.  I love the colors of both and the way they blended together was on point.

The Review
Pattern Description: 
Simplicity 1466- pants only.  New Look 6303- Misses blouse with different variations.
Pattern Sizing:
10- 18. 8-20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? yes. For both patterns.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I loved the pants.  The blouse was nice, but the opening in the front is serious business.  The opening in the front is completely open unless you put the tacking or a decorative pin to close it.

Fabric Used: Gabardine and Challis

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Pants- I had to do a tummy adjustment.  I used the Colettrie adjustment chart (http://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/the-colette-patterns-pants-fitting-cheatsheet)  I also had to let the legs out in the thighs then all the way to the knees.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? yes and yes

Conclusion: The Simplicity pattern was easy to make.  The adjustments that were needed were also helpful once I got done.  I completely made the pants then tried them on.  Once I could see that I actually needed help with the "Baby Pooge" I used Coletterie's cheat sheet to make the much needed changes and boy did it work for these pants. 

The blouse is a whole different story.  I liked the cover photo for this blouse and McCall's has a version that is almost the same.  I didn't like the front of the blouse.  It had the crossover in the front that I was looking for, but the bottom ( where the hem should be) seemed excessive.  A heavier fabric would have I think I should have used elastic all the way around, but I like the back.  It is an easy going shirt that has potential.

Thank you for joining me and I hope you enjoyed the finished look of today's post, Until next time.

Lots of Love
Dellia