Simplicity Sew Simple A1394

Hi


I was so excited about this past weekend's wedding I almost forgot to post my dress.   So, I am going to post mine and then another one that I did for my daughter.  I wasn't a major part of the wedding and I decided to go on the understated side with a simple maxi dress for myself.


To start, I really didn't have a maxi dress pattern that I liked, but I had something that I had been eyeing since last Summer.  Simplicity Sew Simple A1394.   I got the pattern one day while I was out shopping at Wal-Mart.  I always go by the craft department when I go to Walli World.  It gives me good vibes any time I am around fabric and anything crafty.  For some strange reason this pattern caught my attention and I actually saw myself making one or two of them then, but I got busy with life and getting around to it was on my slow list.


Well, as with any fashion conscious woman, I needed something to wear and this pattern came back to mind as something simple and easy.  I knew I had several pieces of knit that would make this dress up nicely and there you have it....my dress for the occasion.   

I used a gold colored knit fabric and line it with white single knit because I couldn't find tricot and didn't have it on hand.

This twisty piece was original to the design.  I looked at it and thought it would be too bulky for me and decided to go with a simpler look that was more in line with my design and look for me.

I decided to use a small strip of fabric that I stitched together and applied some stones to, then attached it to the center of the bodice.

I took the same piece that was a rectangle shape, divided it in the middle and stitched a basting line down the center and gathered the center along with the sides.
This is the sides and the under arm.
End result was perfect for me.  The dress was easy and a good sew.  I like this look much better that the way the pattern had it set up.  I was also able to add about 2" to the back to give a small train. 

I actually made adjustments to wear high heels, but found out about 3 days after I finished this dress that the occasion would be a stand up and short ceremony.  I opted not to make any length changes because if I were to wear this dress again, heels would definitely be on the board.  Instead of worrying about heels, I found a pair of ballerina flats that went so well with this dress.

Here I am with my baby girl.  I would love to say that I thought about taking full pictures, but it was way too chilly and a little windy for me.

The Review

Pattern Description:  Misses knit maxi dress.

Pattern Sizing:  8-10-12-14-16-18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.  The illustrations were good and very clear in which direction to go.  The wording was good as well.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love it when a pattern doesn't have a lot of pieces and construction time is limited to how much time you want to apply.  The simplicity of it was a joy.

Fabric Used:  Some type of gold looking knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I added 2" to the bottom to make a small train and switched the center tie piece (picture 2-4).

Conclusion:  I like this pattern because it is an easy smooth sew.  There were a lot of inspiration modifications for the bodice center piece and I plan on making a few more with some of those different elements. 
Fabric can be a highlight to this dress.  It can be used to make a formal (which is what I did) or an every day dress.  I think this pattern would look nice cut at different lengths as well.  Try just above the knee, hi-lo from ankles or the knee.  With this dress, you can have a closet full of cute, quick, easy dresses.

Thank you for joining me today.  I hope you had fun reading today's post.  Until next time.....

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments