Sewing Contest Alexander McQueen Inspired DIY

Hi

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I decided to take time to join Patternreveiw.com and their Bargainista Contest.  After being out of the loop for a while, this project kind of needed some oiling on the old bicycle wheels.  So, let's see what I came up with and let me know what you think.

INSPIRATION- Alexander McQueen - Cold shoulder, cotton voile, tired dress.

From the Runway-
When I read about the contest and the rules of which I had to follow, I instantly thought about something that could be worn more than once.  I hate sewing something that I'm not going to get any use out of.  I also took into account as to what fabric I should use.  My baby girl asked me to make it for her and so, it was decided that I should make it out of cotton because in my mind I saw the lightweight voile for myself.

A trip to our new local Hobby Lobby was very much in the planning and this was the perfect excuse for a visit.  After I browsed the fabric, I came up with a cute Spring floral broadcloth to make her dress with.
I had recently gotten my thread and zipper which cost $4.75 total.  The fabric was 30% off @ $6.99 per yard and I got 7 yard.  The total price for all items was roughly $38.00.  I only used 5.5 yds to make this dress.

Once I had chosen my fabric, I took my daughter's measurements and began to draft a pattern that would suit the dress.  I tried very hard to find a ready made pattern that would suffice, but I couldn't find anything that was similar in structure that suited my taste, so I then ultimately opted to make the pattern.
Making patterns from scratch is not my favorite thing to do because I know I have more learning to do when it comes to that, but I think it all turned out ok.  It took about 3 drafts before I felt satisfied with my pattern draft enough to assign it to a muslin.

On with the show....Here's Mini Me in her Bargainista sundress.
 






Thank you for joining me today.  My little one really likes her new dress and I had a lot of fun making it.  Until next time,,,

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments