DIY Simplicity 8252 Sew A Long

Hi,

Today I am really hyped up about the McCall's Royal Wedding Sew-A-Long.   The wedding is set for May 19th, 2018 and McCall's is celebrating with a great sew a long that is sure to get everyone excited and ready to go for that day.


I had been thinking about entering into this sew a long for a minute and I finally submitted my name and intended project (pattern) today.  I'm going to try really hard to complete this task because I hate to sew one project forever and anything that has a lot of big pieces makes me bored.

So, for this wild crazy ride I'm going to very seriously pretend that the Queen herself has sent me an invitation to the royal wedding and I have graciously R.S.V.P,,,,YES!!!!! This is an attempt to keep me focused and on task.  I can get off task quickly when I'm bored, but if  the Queen has requested I congratulate the beautiful couple my mind may not wonder too much.

 Now, on to the dress that I am going to wear.  I  would love to actually go and for me, I believe that I might have to think along the lines of Cinderella,,,,"I have nothing to wear to the ball!"  My options were many and it's not like I don't have a pattern or fabric.  But, which fabric will go best with which pattern?  Real big dilema?  Not at all, I've got this ( my mind says while I nibble on my fingernails).

Hmm, let's see.

Option 1-
McCall's 7717
Option 2-

McCall's 7684
Option 3-
McCall's 7654
Option 4-
Simplicity 8252
This was a no brainer for me.  I know that if I were going to a wedding and I didn't have something already in my closet it would be option 4.  I chose Simplicity 8252.  I love the lines of this dress and the lightweight redingote (long coat) is perfect for a Spring wedding.

Now, I can't tell you how upset I was when I cut the pattern pieces out.  The skirt of the pattern was on the floor.  I could not have been more disappointed.  This look is not going to work for what I had in mind for this dress.  I want my dress to look like the cover photo.  Time for surgery.

I didn't make a mulin.  I went total Palmer/ Pletsch and used the pattern pieces itself.  Reason being is that I have lost a lot of time and even though a muslin would make a lot of since for me, I just don't have the time to make this draw out any more than I have to.  I cut the skirt to the length that I wanted and fitted it to myself.  Everything came out better than I expected, but I still want a little more fullness from the skirt and then I have to think about if I want the skirt to stand out with a petticoat to give it a real vintage look.
 I figure that since I shortened the skirt to fit, I will have to do the coat too.  I'm not to that point yet, but I will continue to post as I go along.

If you haven't joined the SewA-Long, I think it's about time you did.  Let's have fun and get inspired to get dressed up.  How often do we get to dress up and how often are we invited to a Royal Wedding?  I'm in!!!!

Until next time, Lot of Love,
Dellia

Comments