Monday, November 11, 2013

Capeville with Butterick 5819, DIY

Hi

As I said yesterday, I have a 2 part post.  Yesterday, I posted a beautiful skirt McCall's 6842.  I can not express how pleased I am with this pattern.  I can see a lot of different skirts coming my way with this pattern leading the pack.

Now on to today's post Butterick 5819.

 I saw this cape pattern and there was something about the style that caught my eye.  Since I had seen so many different capes this year, I thought I would give the Cape a chance.  I am kind of partial to ponchos, but not capes.  I even had the grand idea of making a suit by combining the 2 patterns together and using the cape as a separate whenever an event would call for cool weather.



 So here is the info that I know you are waiting for.  This pattern was not kind to my mind.  First, I always estimate that things are going to run a little long due to that fact that I am vertically challenged (it doesn't matter how high my heels are either).  Once I fitted the pattern to Sarah I could see that some alterations in length, shape, and size were going to be in order.  I purchased this pattern in a large because that is the size that would come close to fitting me.  I believe that if I had used the smaller size I would have had to work my way up instead of down.  So, let's work our way down.

I wanted more arm to show and less length in the back.  I used my measuring tape, a yard stick, tailor's chalk, and an invisible pen.  I measured from my waist down to my knees (the pattern was way too long).  Then I pinned the pattern to Sarah (adjusta form).  From the waistline of the pattern down, I used the measurements that I took from myself to use as the cutting guide for the length.  I also subtracted 2" to make sure that the bottom would not sit in the middle of the back of my knee.

With the correct length accomplished I proceeded to measure the length of my arms.  I used this measurement to determine how long I wanted the sides of the cape to be and where I wanted it to fall on me.  From the shoulder seam to the back I used the ruler to accurately mark and measure.  I kept the front of the cape the same with the exception of tapering off from the shoulder seams.

This pattern is not clear in the complete construction of this cape,,,,Maybe I didn't read it correctly, but It was stressing the need to trim, press, and baste the seam allowances.  It did not tell you how to finish the hemming (not good for wool).  The look of the cape is nice, but I don't suggest a beginning sewist to try this one.  I think a little sewing time would be in order for all the topstitching and edgestitching that has to be done with this one.  To me this cape seemed to be UNFISHISHED.  There was so much missing from the construction and I kept waiting for 911 to rescue me, but I forged ahead, going my own way and in the last stretch I figured out how to put the collar on in an appropriate manner (Hint: there will be handstitching).  Yes, to finish this cape off take a little imagination and hand sewing.

Thank you for reading my post today.  I hope you will join me again,, Until next time,,, LOLPOH

Dellia