DIY, McCall's 6884 Mock Wrap Dress

Hi

Recently I had an opportunity to view the new Spring pattern line up for McCall's and I was quite pleased with the new patterns.  I liked the simple lines of their new collection and the fabric choices are easy casual pickings for either everyday wear.  I think that every day clothing should be simple and I'm going to make my own, these patterns are the perfect jump start to getting my 2014 wardrobe off to a good start.

After a little thought and a few switchings of the fabrics, I chose McCall's 6884 to start my 2014 wardrobe.  A lot of the styles from 2013 (Vogue 8896, Simplicity 2369, Butterick 5030, and McCall's 6744)   had either a full wrap or mock wrap which seemed to be the theme for 2013.  I love just about any garment that has a wrap to it.  You just throw that one piece on and you're out the door.  Since my pattern came with some options for a mock wrap, I chose to omit the ties and go for a belt.  I felt this would give me more options for future wear.

The Review:
I chose view A with the 3/4 sleeves.  The fabric is a beautiful rayon ITY knit that I got from Fabric.com a while back, but just couldn't find the right pattern to fit the print in the fabric.  This pattern presented the perfect opportunity to use this fabric.  I loved this pattern.  There were 4 major components to this pattern.  A back, 2 front panels and a pair of sleeves.  If you want to add the ties for the belt that would be an option totally left up to you.  I just chose not to add them since I wanted to see how well the pattern flowed.

I think this version looks somewhat like the pattern, but not completely.  The only alterations were the ties that I omitted.  Everything else is as per instructions.

I would recommend this pattern to a beginner as well as a more advanced sewist.  I would advise a beginner to use a heavier fabric.

I hope you enjoyed today's post.  Until next time, LOLPOH

Dellia

Comments