DIY McCall's 6083 Review

Hi

Today I have a simple McCall's pattern that caught my attention last year.  I wasn't really sure about how I was going to make this one, but I did have a piece of sequin fabric and about 5 yds of crepe that I had been saving.  Since I couldn't come up with anything for the 2 pieces of fabric separately, I decided to join the two.

I had seen a really gorgeous piece of sequin fabric a while back at The House of Fabrics that was so beautiful until I decided to order something a little different from Fabric.com.  The fabric that I used was purchased at the end of last year and is no longer available.  Sorry about that.  It really is a lovely piece of fabric.  However, I did find some more HERE, HERE, HERE, and a host of it at Moodfabrics.com.




To accessorize this jumper I chose a pair of silver thong sandals(yesteryear from ON), silver earrings, and my ensemble was complete.  I thought that the top of the jumper would be "Bling" enough so I opted to use as little jewelry as possible to have a more "casual" effect.  If I were going to a more formal setting I might would spruce up my shoes and choose an heeled sandal or closed toe pump with some snazzier earrings.

The Review
.
Pattern Description:  McCall's 6083, Misses jumper with bodice and length options.  Sash, and pockets.

Pattern Sizing:  EE (14- 20)

Fabric:  Midnight Blue Crepe and Matte Sequin Netting.

Did it look like the photo on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  Yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  Yes.  The illustrations were useful.

What did you like about the pattern?  I liked that the length and bodice options.  This pattern makes you want to sew all of them.

Pattern alterations you made:  I didn't do any alterations to the jumper, but I did have to put a lining behind the netting in order to apply the elastic.   Since I was using a sequined fabric, it was important not to disturb the outside appearance of the sequins.

 After removing a few rows of sequins from the bodice I stitched the lining to the bodice sequin fabric.  The lining fabric was cut from the original pattern piece plus I added 1" to the lining(and sequin) bodice pieces (front and back) to give ample room for the elastic.  Once I had my top seam that connected the bodice and the lining, I zig-zag stitched the elastic to the seam allowance and the bodice lining.  This created a self enclosed casing for the elastic and allowed the sequin fabric to be free of any stitches as seen in the photos. 

Will you sew it again?  Yes. This is my go to pattern for a good quick jumper (just no sequins next time).  I would also recommend this pattern to anyone who likes jumpers.

Conclusion:  This is a great pattern.  I loved everything about it and I look forward to another one.  I used a lightweight crepe and sequin netting to achieve what I wanted for this particular jumper.  Even though I would not wear this one on a daily basis, I do believe in having something in my closet for every occasion.  This jumper is very versatile and would do well for many different occasions.  

I would suggest trying different fabrics and some of the other options to see what comes up.  Not to give formals any slack, but satin and a double georgette would lend a beautiful finish.  Choose a cotton fabric to make it more casual and something for the everyday wardrobe department.  Also think outside the box with embellishments. 

This is an awesome pattern for beginners.  My only suggestion to a beginner is to use cotton fabric.  The fabric suggestions lists lightweight cottons and cotton blends first.  To me, cotton blends would include just about any type of broadcloth.  My first choice would be a silk blend or batiste.

If you make it in a cotton you will have a feel for how the pattern and the fabric flows together.  Challis, Jersey, and Crepe are softer and more flimsy fabrics.  Therefore making them a last choice for a beginner, meaning: choose a fabric with my body (stiff) and less drape (slinky).  If you stick with the first fabric choice you will then be able to move on to a more difficult fabric in the future.  

Thank you for joining me and I look forward to our next project together.

Lots Of Love
Dellia

Comments