DIY, New Look 6282 Review

Hi

Today I am really feeling this dress that I made using New Look 6282.  Even though it is a very basic pattern, I liked the construction and the flow of the pattern.  My first thought for making this dress was to go with an all over solid or all over print fabric, but after debating with myself for a couple of hours I came up with a combination that kind of cured both my print and solid side (tell why later).  The print fabric is a soft cotton Challis that I got from Walmart a few months back and the solid color fabric is a peach skin that I also got from Walmart.

At first glance I thought this pattern was going to have a cheap construction effect because lately all the maxi dress patterns that I have made do not have a slip (lining) for the bottom.  Normally I would have to make one in order to feel comfortable in public.  This one has a lining for the whole thing, which works for a sheer Chiffon, extra lightweight Lawn, or even a really neat looking Lace.  Whatever sheer fabric you might choose this pattern has taken care to ensure that modesty is covered.  For modesty's sake I also chose the wider straps even though I actually liked the thinner ones.  

After reading through my instructions I began this project with the bodice first.  According to the instructions that is what comes first, but I wanted to start with the easiest part right off.  However, (the REAL reason for 2 colors) after laying out the pattern and seeing that I really didn't have enough material to go either all solid or all print my mind caught a serious headache.  I twisted the pattern and I turned it every which way but, I still could not make it fit completely on one whole piece of either of the two fabrics.  Then the idea came to me to just make part of it in solid.  I actually wanted the whole top solid and go for the look of View B with the exchange of the dark colored fabric as a print, but then I thought, why not have the front bodice solid and the rest of the dress in print?  Ok, my dilemma was quickly solved.

Here's a look see at what I mixed up. LOL
Jewelry- Forever21, Sandals- old my closet.

The Review

Pattern Description: Misses maxi dress with 2 skirt variations, 2 lengths and 2 strap variations.
Pattern Sizing: 4-16
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I liked the easy construction and the fact that this pattern came with a built in slip process.   
Fabric Used: Cotton Challis and peach skin
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't make any changes to the pattern. 
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes I will make this again.  Maybe do the short version with the small straps. I do recommend this pattern to others. 
Conclusion: Liked this pattern overall.  It was nice to have a wide range of fabrics to choose from.  I think this one takes a personal touch.  There are a lot of fabrics that would make this dress fancy or simple.  The V in the front is a modest one and something that you can live with without worrying about an extra tank underneath.  The skirt can be made to have either the 2 splits, 1 split, or none at all.  This is a very good go to pattern for a maxi.

Thank you for joining me today and I hope you have a  

Until next time, Lots of Love,
 Dellia

Comments