Vogue 8871 In Black And White

Hi

I have been seeing the Little Black dress (LBD) popping up everywhere and I have been wanting me one with an edge.  Quite naturally, I am not fit enough for a "Body Con" dress, but I did find something that I could make work for me.  Everyday I would log online and see celebrities with their fit bodies in those tight leather dresses and I was so "green".  The fact that I couldn't wear a tight fitted dress was not a determining factor because I had envisioned my dress with little touches of leather and not all leather.

Here are a few inspiring celeb looks that caught my attention.
Rihanna is so daring and racey with her fashion sense.  I wouldn't wear this outfit now, but it appeals to the younger side of me as does most of her styling trends..
I will be one of the first to admit that Angelina has a flare for the rugged classy edge.  Both of these dresses make me swoon, but they still aren't on the top of my must have list.
Here are the dresses that suit my take on leather.  I am not particular about the whole dress being in leather, but the style of dress make sense to me and my body.  Which one do I like the most....All of them.  So, keeping this type of dress in mind I began my search for the pattern that would lead me to a fulfilled leather dream.

Vogue 8871 was my pattern of choice.  I could see clean lines and a very flared skirt with this pattern.
I had gotten this pattern when it first came out because I thought the envelope dress was extremely exciting and challenging.  As I kept tossing the concept around in my head, I saw a solid colored dress and decided to strike the zig-zag look out the door.  I had a piece of ivory colored ponte knit that was begging me to make something with it and I also had 1 yard of leather like fabric that was intended to be a skirt that just jumped on the table and screamed,,,"Me Next!!"  So, the task was on to go with a inverted LBD and make a LBWD (Little Black and White Dress)..hehehe.

So, here's my solution to my leather fetish.
I will mention this because it was too funny,,,keep an eye on the ducks...
As I was taking pictures the ducks got closer and closer.  There were 2 adults and 6 babies.  I was almost scared to continue because I know them momma ducks get a little excited about their babies, but they really wanted to smile for the camera.

The Review
Pattern Description: 
Close-fitting, flared, pullover dress has seam detail and narrow hem.
Pattern Sizing:
B5(8-10-12-14-16)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? yes.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, this pattern has staying power.j

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? My favorite was that there were only 5 pieces.  I added the neck binding myself.

Fabric Used: Medium weight Ponte Knit and leather like knit.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I didn't make any adjustments to this pattern other than a neck binding.  

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? yes and yes

Conclusion:  If this pattern is not a part of your collection, get it.  I like the short version and I am definately going back for a longer version.  This pattern is from the very easy Vogue collection and I think that a beginner would be able to study this pattern and come up with a very professional looking dress.  It is very versatile with the jersey fabric list.  The heavier the fabric the less swing you will get from the skirt, the lighter weight fabrics will give more swing to the skirt.  I also think that this could be completely made out of the leather like knit that I used (will need a lining for comfort).  The pattern suggests using Jersey and Ponte knit.  I do too.  I am thinking of using a jersey for my long skirt version because the swing in this dress is awesome.  It's also well suited for all body types, which makes this pattern stand out as one of my favorites for longevity and versatility.

I hope you enjoyed today's post, Until next time.

Lots of Love
Dellia

PS,, Here are my watchers that I just couldn't resist posting.  


Comments